Summer tuition credit (STC) is generated when a class is dropped after the refund deadline.
- STC will never be refunded.
- STC will not apply towards previously added classes.
- STC cannot be transferred to other terms. (ie- spring, fall, or future summers)
- STC can be used towards subsequently added classes.
When a student drops a class paid for by summer tuition credit:
- If a student drops a class that was paid for by STC, before the refund deadline, they will not receive a refund. However, they will still have the available credit to apply to a subsequently added summer course.
- If a student drops a class that was paid for by STC, after the refund deadline, tuition credit will be generated for the dropped course in addition to the existing credit that had paid for the course. Thus, the student would be responsible for tuition for both courses dropped after the refund deadline and would have available credit generated from both courses to apply to a subsequently added summer course(s).
Tuition Credit Example:
- You drop a 3-unit English class in Session C after the refund deadline. Since it is after the deadline to drop and receive a refund deadline you continue to be charged for the English class. However, you now have Summer Tuition Credit in an amount equal to the tuition for a 3-unit course.
- Then you add a 3-unit Math class in Session D. You are charged for both English class and Math class (tuition for 6 units), but the total balance due remains the same (tuition for 3 units); if you already paid for the English class, you will not receive a refund. You have now used all available Summer Tuition Credit, and the credit balance is at zero
- If you drop the 3-unit Math class in Session D after the refund deadline, you are charged for both English class and Math class (tuition for 6 units). Summer Tuition Credit is not applied towards this balance because there is no eligible course to which the credit can be applied (credit only applies to a subsequently added new course). Because Summer Tuition Credit is generated every time a course is dropped, you now have Summer Tuition Credit in an amount equal to a 3-unit course (Math class) to use for any course you subsequently add.
*Available credit is not shown on a student account, please contact an advisor if you have a question about using tuition credit. Please note, credit applied will appear on a student’s account the next day pacific standard time.